Clinical anatomy occupies the center-stage for all medical training. Anatomy is the branch of medicine that deals with the study of the structures of the human body, by means of dissection. It also includes the study of histology, embryology, and genetics. The department of anatomy provides undergraduate and post-graduate students with comprehensive knowledge of the structures of the human body.
Experienced faculty and well-trained dissection hall technicians enable our undergraduate and postgraduate students to learn in detail about the normal human anatomical structures. The department of anatomy offers one of the popular postgraduate courses pursued by many physicians for lucrative careers in research or academics. Spacious dissection halls, well-equipped histology lab, and anatomy museum in the department of anatomy create a congenial learning environment for our students.
At the end of the academic session on human anatomy, the student shall be able to:
- Comprehend the normal disposition, clinically relevant interrelationships, functional and cross-sectional morphology of various structures in the body.
- Identify the microscopic anatomical units of the human body, and correlate the cell structure of various organs with the functions, as a prerequisite to understanding the altered state in various disease processes.
- Demonstrate the knowledge of the sequential development of the organ system; recognize the clinical stages of development and the effects of common teratogens.
- The student would be able to explain the developmental basis of major variations and abnormalities.
The department of anatomy at The Apollo Medical College has dedicated and experienced faculty, assisted by well-trained hall attendants to train undergraduate and postgraduate students. Our faculty members actively engage with students in campus events, community health programs, and research projects.
Babaiah Chelimillah Dissection Hall AttendantDOJ: 09.02.2012
Dr. C. Mrudula Professor & HODDOJ: 01.01.1970
Dr. Dilip Mathai DeanDOJ: 12.12.2012
Dr. Saju Binu Cherian Assoc. ProfDOJ: 07.02.2012
Eashwraiah Mandha Dissection Hall AttendantDOJ: 01.01.1970
M Ajay Durgababu Technical Assistant / TechnicianDOJ: 06.12.2019
Histopathology (or histology) is the microscopic examination of cells and tissues. The department is well-equipped with more than 65 electron and dissection microscopes. It also has the latest Olympus Trinocular Brightfield Microscope Model CX41 with SMP CMOS Camera. The histology lab is also equipped with CCTV and LCD screens to ensure comfortable viewing access for each and every student.
|1||General histology slides||37|
|2||Systemic histology slides||46|
|7||Microscope with USB||1|
|11||Colour marking pencils||2 Sets|
|13||Number of Microscopes||60 +dissection microscopes 5|
|14||Number of special Microscopes||1 Trinocular CX41 with SMP CMOS Camera|
|15||Microscopes with camera||1|
The department of Anatomy has an exclusive laboratory facility for aiding advanced research activities by the students and the staff members. The laboratory is equipped with resources that facilitate the inculcation of anatomy by the students at all grades.
|5||Slide warming table||3|
|6||Analytical balance (200gms)||1|
|7||Analytical balance (6kilos)||1|
|8||Distilled water apparatus||1|
Research Lab (upgraded to P.G.requirements ) Has a functional Histology Lab to prepare and stain the normal histology slides.
Provided with Anthropometric Equipment to study comparative Anatomy.
|Sl. No||Research Lab Equipments||Number|
|10||Tissue Embedding bath||01|
|13||Slide warming table||03|
|15||Analytical balance (200gms)||01|
|16||Analytical balance (6 kilos)||01|
|17||Distilled water apparatus||01|
The dissection halls associated with the department of anatomy at The Apollo Medical College are spacious, well-ventilated, well-equipped, and adequately staffed to provide the undergraduate and postgraduate trainees with hands-on training. Students pursuing undergraduate studies, a postgraduate course or research studies, are encouraged to practice cadaver dissection independently.
Experienced professors, academicians, and dissection hall technicians supervise the students and guide them in understanding the organs, muscles, nerves, normal and abnormal structures of the human body.
|3||Meat cutting machine||1|
|6||Chisel and hammer||2|
The Anatomy Department has a museum that acts as a great resource for the study of various specimens enabling the medical and Paramedical students to inculcate more knowledge on the anatomy of a human body. The museum not only includes cataloged specimens and models illustrating mostly normal human anatomy but also a number of radiographs and a variety of models and charts which can be utilized as teaching materials.
The department understands the need for an educational environment where the knowledge provided is adapted to the changing needs of the medical field. Hence, it is ensured that the museum is not limited to a static display of curiosities and it is remodeled and updated depending on the current trends and requirements.
The anatomy museum includes:
|4.||X-Ray view boxes||6|
Conference / Seminars / CME
Publications, Awards & Achievements
Studies published under the name of our faculty members in different journals are listed below:
Dr. C. Mrudula Professor
- A study on the adverse effects of formaldehyde on the staff of anatomy departments working in various medical colleges Vol 1/ Issue 4 / October 2012,559-564 ,Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences, ISSN NO – 2278-4748 ;Krishnaiah M, Mrudula C.
- Aortic orifice measurement – cadaveric and echocardiographic study Vo 3/Issue 4/October -December 2012 ,914-920, Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences,ISSN NO -0975-8585 ; Impact factor- 0.35
- Can the dead teach the living ?-Cadaveric dissection in medical curriculum Vol 4/Issue 4/Jul-August 2013,100-104; National journal of integrated research in medicine; ISSN NO – 2230 – 9969; Impact factor- 2.507; Mrudula Chandrupatla, Krishnaih Muunnanuri
- Sirenomelia – The Mermaid Syndrome : A case report Vol 7/Issue 6/May -June 2013, 1-4;International organization of scientific research journal; ISSN NO – 2278-3008; Naveena .S, Mrudula C.
- Horse shoe kidney: a case report; Vol 1/Issue 3/ August 2013,304-307; International Journal of Research in Medical Sciences ;ISSN NO – 2320-6071; Naveena .S, Mrudula C
- Morphometry Of Sacral Hiatus And Its Clinical Relevance; Vol 1/Issue 7/ July 2013,11-18; International journal of advance research; ISSN NO – 2320-5407; Impact factor- 5.336; Mrudula C , Naveena S
- Sacralization of fifth lumbar vertebra ; Vol. 5, Issue 6, June, 2014, 1159-1160 International Journal of Recent Scientific Research ; ISSN NO – 0976-3031; Impact factor- 5.971; Naveena .S, Mrudula C.
- Mayer-Rokintansky-Kuster-Hauser Syndrome: A Case Report Vol 5/Issue 4/July 2014,943-946 ; Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences ; ISSN NO – 0975-8585; Impact factor- 0.35; Naveena S, Aruna jyothi, Saju B, Chandrupatla M and Shabana Sultana
- Non rotation of Gut – A Case Report ;Vol 3: Issue 4, Oct 2014 , 340-343 International Journal of Medical and Health Sciences; ISSN NO – 2277-4505; Impact factor- 3.51 ; Mrudula Chandrupatla, Naveena Swargam
- Anencephaly- A case report Vol 2; Issue 7, Oct 2014,255-257, International journal of scientific study ;ISSN NO –2321-6379; Impact factor- 2.605; Dr. Mrudula Chandrupatla, Dr.. Naveena swargam
- Effect of cyclophosphamide on Neural Tube Development in Chick Embryos; Vol 5; Issue 06 ,Jun 2014,238-240 ; International Journal of Pharma Sciences and Research ; ISSN NO – 2320-5148; Impact factor- 2.60; shabana sultana, mrudula chandrupatla, naveena swargam,Aruna jyothi
1. Effect of sodium valproate on Neural Tube Development in Chick Embryos Vol 4;Issue 1,Jan 2015,15-18 ; International journal of research in pharmacology and pharmacotherapeutics ; ISSN NO – 2278-2648; MA Doshi,Shabana sultana, N Jayasree,Aruna jyothi,Mrudula C
2. Patent Foramen Ovale: A Cadaveric Observational Study, Vol.5; Issue: 2; February 2015,387-389 ; International Journal of Health Sciences and Research ; ISSN NO – 2249-9571; Impact factor- 3.624, Naveena .S, Mrudula C
3. Elongation of left lobe of liver ; Vol 3;Issue 2; April 2015, 152-156, International journal of allied medical sciences and clinical research; ISSN NO –2347-6567; shabana sultana, mrudula c, naveens s, aruna jyothi, nitya whagray
4. Osteoarthritis of knee joint , Vol 3; Issue 2; June 2015,248-252, International journal of allied medical sciences and clinical research; ISSN NO –2347-6567; Dr. Mrudula Chandrupatla, Dr.. Naveena swargam
5. Comparative study of estimation of stature using femur length and humerus length: an anthropometric study; Vol 5; Issue 10; August 2015,865-867; Journal of science; ISSN NO –2277-3282; Impact factor- 4.67; Dr. Mrudula Chandrupatla, Dr.. Naveena swargam
1. Effect of cyclophosphamide in histological features of cerebellum in chick embryo; Vol 4; Issue 2; June 2016 ,256-259; International Journal of Allied Medical Sciences and Clinical Research ; ISSN NO –2347-6567; MA Doshi,Shabana sultana, N Jayasree, Mrudula C, Aruna jyothi
2. An anatomical variation in the origin of biceps brachii muscle,Vol 3 ; Issue 3; June 2016 , 313-316, Medico research chronicles; ISSN NO – 2394-3971; Dr. Mrudula Chandrupatla, Dr.Shabana Sultana
3. Cervical Rib – A case report; Vol 7 ; Issue 7;July 2016 ,12599-12601 International journal of recent scientific research; ISSN NO – 0967-3031; Impact factor- 5.971; Mrudula Chandrupatla and Shabana Sultana
4. Effect of Cyclophosphamide in Histological Features of Cerebrum in Chick Embryos; Vol 1; Issue 9 ,Nov 2016, 399-401,International journal of innovative research in medical science; ISSN NO – 2455-8737; Impact factor- 0.18 ; MA Doshi,Shabana sultana, N Jayasree, Mrudula C
5. Effect of sodium valproate in histological features of cerebellum in chick embryos; Vol. 5, Issue 12; Dec, 2016;380-387;Journal of Medical Pharmaceutical And Allied Sciences;ISSN NO. 2320 – 7418; Impact factor- 4.262; MA Doshi,Shabana sultana, N Jayasree, Mrudula C
6. Effect of sodium valproate in histological features of cerebrum in chick embryos Vol. 03, Issue 12; Dec, 2016;3391-3394 ;International Journal of Information Research and Review; MA Doshi,Shabana sultana, N Jayasree, Mrudula C
Dr. Saju B. Cherian Associate Professor
1. NAYAK, B. S.; MISHRA, S.; GEORGE, B. M.; CHERIAN, S. B. & SHETTY, S. D. (2013).Unusual branches of femoral artery in the femoral triangle – A case report. Int. J. Morphol., 31(3):819-821, 2013.
1. Naveena S*, Aruna jyothi, Saju B, Chandrupatla M and Shabana Sultana. Mayer-Rokintansky-Kuster-Hauser Syndrome: A Case Report.( 2014) RJPBCS. 5(4): 943- 46.
2. Saju Binu Cherian, Aruna Jyothi Gandhalam ( 2014). Abnormal position of descending colon with right- sided sigmoid colon and its clinical significance, APME 11(3) 227-229
3. Cherian SB, Gandhalam AJ. Rectus sternalis muscle: An anatomical variant of anterior chest wall. (2014) OA Anatomy Jun 10; 2(2):16.
1. Cherian SB and Bairy, KL (2015) Induction of micronuclei in hippocampal neurons exposed to chronic prenatal restraint stress in male and female wistar rat pups. International Journal of Advanced Research, 3 (8). pp. 1217-1222. ISSN 2320-5407
2. Cherian SB, et al. Ascending aortic aneurysm and its clinical significance: A case report (2015) Apollo Med. 12(3) 229-231
3. Aruna Jyothi. Nithya Waghray , Saju Binu Cherian, Shabana Sultana(2015) . Male form of Persistent Mullerian Duct – A case report. Int. J of Allied Med. Sci. and Clin. Research 3(3) 280-284
1. Saju BC, Bairy KL,Muddanna SR (2016). Effects of chronic prenatal stress on motor coordination in postweaned male and female wistar rats. Int. J of Med. Sci. and Clin. Research, 4(2): 289-294
Dr. Shabana Sultana Tutor
- (a)Shabana Sultana, (b)Mrudula Chandrupatla, (c)Naveena Swargam,(d)Aruna Jyothi;
“Effect of Cyclophosphamide on Neural Tube Development in Chick Embryos”; International Journal of Pharma Sciences and Research (IJPSR); ISSN : 0975-9492, Vol 5 No 06 Jun 2014, Pg No: 238-240.
2. Mayer-Rokintansky-Kuster-Hauser Syndrome: A Case Report. Aruna jyothi, Naveena Swargam, Saju B, Chandrupatla M and Shabana Sultana. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences .July – August 2014 RJPBCS 5(4) Page No. 943
- 1M.A.Doshi, 2Shabana Sultana, 3N.Jayasree,4Aruna Jyothi, 5Mrudula chandrupatla; “Effect of sodium valproate on neural tube development in chick embryos”; International Journal of Research in Pharmacology & Pharmacotherapeutics (IJRPP); ISSN : 2278-2648, Vol 4 ,Issue 1,Jan-Mar-2015 , Pg No: 15-18.
- Elongation of left lobe of liver:A case report. 1Shabana Sultana, 2Mrudula Chandrupatla, 3Naveena Swargam,4Aruna Jyothi,5Nitya Waghray. International Journal of Allied Medical Sciences and Clinical Research(IJAMSCR) ,Volume 3,Issue 2 April-June 2015, Page No.152-156.
- Effect of cyclophosphamide in histological features of cerebellum in chick embryo 1 Shabana Sultana, 2M.A.Doshi, 3N.Jayasree, 4Mrudula Chandrupatla, 5Aruna Jyothi International Journal of Allied Medical Sciences and Clinical Research(IJAMSCR) , IJAMSCR ,Volume 4 ,Issue 2,April – June – 2016 Page No. 256-259.
- “An anatomical variation in the origin of biceps brachii muscle” Dr. Mrudula Chandrupatla*, Dr.Shabana Sultana Medico Research Chronicles,2016, 3 (3), Page No. 313-316
- “Effect of Cyclophosphamide in Histological Features of Cerebrum in Chick Embryos” 1Shabana Sultana,2M.A.Doshi, 3N.Jayasree, 4Mrudula Chandrupatla. “International Journal of Innovative Research in Medical Science (IJIRMS) Volume 01 Issue 09 Nov 2016, ISSN No. – 2455-8737 Available online at – www.ijirms.in” Page No. 399-401.
- “Effect of sodium valproate in histological features of cerebellum in chick embryos” 1Shabana Sultana,2M.A.Doshi, 3N.Jayasree, 4Mrudula Chandrupatla. “Journal of Medical Pharmaceutical And Allied Sciences”, www.jmpas.com ISSN NO. 2320 – 7418, 14 December 2016,(Page No. 380-387)
- “EFFECT OF SODIUM VALPROATE IN HISTOLOGICAL FEATURES OF CEREBRUM IN CHICK EMBRYOS” 1Shabana Sultana,2M.A.Doshi, 3N.Jayasree, 4Mrudula Chandrupatla International Journal of Information Research and ReviewVol. 03, Issue, 12, pp. 3391-3394, December, 2016.
The AMC acknowledges that learning is something that is not limited to the knowledge of the teaching faculties or the curriculum designed, it is an on-going process that involves the understanding of the historical concepts that have occurred and documented, keeping up-to-date with the current happening in the field and also preparing ourselves and the community for combatting the future problems with research and innovation. To aid this learning process, the college has an extensive anatomy department library that houses about 790 books covering almost all the topics related to anatomy.
|5||Surface anatomy and radiological||2|
|12||Anatomy journals ( National & International)||05 (02+03)|
We are in receipt of Anatomy journals (National & International)
- Journal of Anatomy
- Annals of Anatomy
- National Journal of Clinical Anatomy
- Journal of Anatomical Society of India
- Journal of Genetics
|Professor||1||Dr. Aruna Jyothi|
|Assoc. Professor||1||Dr. C. Mrudula|
|Asst. Professor||2||Dr. Naveena
Dr. Saju Binu Cherian
|Dr.G.Aruna Jyothi||Enthesis: A Brief Review. Apollo Medicine, Volume 12, Issue 1, March 2015, Pages 32-38 Nitya Waghray, G. Aruna Jyothi, Mariya Imran, Sabah Yaseen, Upasana Chaudhary.Enhanced interpretation is the answer in Forensic identification of fragmented burnt human bones: A Medico legal study accepted to be, “ Journal Of Indian Academy of Forensic Medicine“. G. Aruna Jyothi, P.Hari Krishna Effect of sodium valproate on neural tube development in chick embryos. International Journal of Research In Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapeutics ,Vol.4,Issue 1, Jan- Mar 2015.
|Dr.Naveena Swargam||“A Study of Anatomical Variations in the Caeco- Appendicular Position”, Scholars Journal of Applied Medical Sciences (SJAMS) Sch. J. App. Med. Sci., 2015; 3(3E):1376-1379
Sacralization of fifth lumbar vertebra -Vol. 5, Issue 6, June, 2014, 1159-1160
|Dr.Shabana Sultana||“Effect of Cyclophosphamide on Neural Tube Development in Chick Embryos”; International Journal of Pharma Sciences and Research (IJPSR); ISSN: 0975-9492, Vol 5 No 06 Jun 2014, Pg No: 238-240. Effect of sodium valproate on Neural Tube Development in Chick Embryos, Vol 4;Issue 1,Jan 2015,15-18|
|Mrs.Nitya||Morphological and topographical study of nutrient foramina in adult humerii International Journal of Innovative Research and Development, Volume 3 Issue 4; April 2014, ISSN: 2278-0211 Patterns of the communications between Musculocutaneous and Median nerve -A Cadaveric study, International journal Of Medical Research and Health Sciences, Volume 2 Issue 3 July-Sep 2013.
Morphological Aspects of Triceps Surae – A Cadaveric Study , International Journal Of Innovative Research and Development ,volume 2 Issue 7;July 2013.
|Dr.Mrudula||A study on the adverse effects of formaldehyde on the staff of anatomy departments working in various medical colleges,Vol 1/ Issue 4 / October 2012, 559-564,Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences. Aortic orifice measurement – cadaveric and echocardiography study,Vo 3/Issue 4/October -December 2012, 914-920 Can the dead teach the living?-Cadaveric dissection in medical curriculum, National journal of integrated research in medicine, Vol 4/Issue 4/Jul-August 2013, 100-104|
|Dr.Saju binu cherian||Effects of chronic prenatal restraint stress on anxiety in post weaned male and female wistar rats. Pharmacology online 2.99-122
Sexually dimorphic effects of chronic prenatal stress induced spatial memory impairment in postweaned male and female wistar rats. IJPSRR,4(3):115-122