Ophthalmology is a branch of medicine that deals with the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the eye. This department has experienced faculty and skilled ophthalmologists, who train undergraduate students on all aspects of eye care, including cataract surgeries, phacoemulsification, and correction of vision disorders.
The department is equipped with the latest technologies and skills, which has developed advanced capabilities to deliver high-quality eye care to patients at its tertiary, urban, and rural centers.
At the end of the academic session on ophthalmology, the student shall be able to:
- Develop adequate diagnostic and surgical skills to perform basic eye surgeries to remedy blindness or restore vision.
- Provide compassionate and high-quality eye care to all patients with eye problems.
- Conduct community outreach programs and camps to identify and treat cases of blindness.
- Become effective community health leaders to assist in the implementation of national programs for the prevention of blindness and rehabilitation of visually impaired.
The department of ophthalmology at The Apollo Medical College has dedicated and experienced professors and tutors to train undergraduate students in all aspects of comprehensive eye-care. Our faculty members actively engage with students in campus events, community health programs, and research projects.
Dr. T. Sanjay Reddy PROFESSOR & HODDOJ: 01.01.1970
Dr. Satyanarayana Reddy Professor DOJ: 10.08.2015
Dr. Hymavathi Bommisetti Assistant ProfessorDOJ: 04.02.2012
Dr. Nirupama Mandiga Assistant ProfessorDOJ: 03.02.2015
Dr. Vaddiraj Sirish Kumar Assistant ProfessorDOJ: 12.01.2014
Dr. L. Prathima Senior ResidentDOJ: 01.01.1970
Dr. Gurrala Vidyadhar Junior ResidentDOJ: 01.01.1970
Dr. Jangolla Naresh Kumar Junior ResidentDOJ: 01.01.1970
From diagnosis to surgery, ophthalmology is one area of medicine where instruments play a major role. Being the most sensitive and vulnerable part of a living body, eye-related issues are to be diagnosed and treated with the utmost care possible. This requires the help of advanced and reliable medical instruments.
AMC is directed towards delivering high-quality eye care to the patients aided by efficient equipment for diagnosis and treatment of eye problems. Also, the department focuses on helping the health care professionals, graduating from the institution, to stay ahead of the curve and have hands-on experience in working with various instruments by exposing them to every possible ophthalmic equipment.
The equipment available in the department include:
- Slit Lamps
- Applanation Tonometer
- Direct Ophthalmoscopes
- Indirect Ophthalmoscopes
- Perkins Hand-held Tonometer
- Streak Retinoscope
- 90D, 20D, Gonio Lens
- Operating Microscope
- Phaco machine
- Humphrey Field Analyser
Eyecare is improving day by day and the integration of new technology to diagnose and treat eye-related problems is happening very frequently around the world. In order to upskill the clinical knowledge in sync with the latest trends and also to revamp the basic understanding of the ophthalmology in relation to the current day scenarios, the students and the faculty are continuously encouraged to attend conferences and workshop related to their field of expertise.
Conferences, Workshops & CME attended/presented by the faculty include-
- Hyderabad Ophthalmologists’ Association (HOA) Conferences.
- Workshop on Drug Safety and Basics of Pharmaco Vigilance by Dr. T. Sanjay Reddy.
- Workshop on Glaucoma Drainage Devices at LVPEI by Dr. D. Nirupama.
- Paper Presentation on the case of Aicardi Syndrome by Dr. D. Nirupama in the APOS Conference in Tirupathi.
- Presentation by Dr. P. Vengal Rao on “Recent Advances in Corneal & Refractive Surgeries” in CME at AIMSR.
Publications, Awards & Achievements
Studies published under the name of our faculty members in different journals are listed below:
Dr. D. Nirupama
- Aicardi syndrome –A case report at AP state conference, Tirupathi.
1.Alkaptonuria-A case report at AP state conference, Vizag.
2.OCT picture in vortex keratopathy, at AP state conference, Vizag.
1. Case Report:Aicardi Syndrome, TOS TODAY vol 1,Issue no-3 .Dr.D.Nirupama.
2. OCT picture in vortex keratopathy, TOS TODAY VOL 1, Issue no-Dr.D.Nirupama.