Right from its inception in June 2012, the Department of Ophthalmology at the Apollo Medical College is incessantly working towards rendering an affordable yet high-quality eye care services to the patients.
The department strongly believes that the consistent provision of world-class health care can be made feasible all over the nation only by bestowing a holistic education to the medical students at undergraduate and postgraduate levels with an incredible emphasis on research and community service.
The management is working hard to channelize all their energies in building the best infrastructure, incorporating the latest technologies & equipment to aid in providing state-of-the-art research facilities to the students and faculty.
To combat the exponentially increasing number of patients attending the OPD, the department has installed numerous high-tech medical supplies and equipment, thus assisting to deliver better services to the needful patients.
New equipment installed for effective medical care services during the year are as follows:
- Slip Lamp
- Auto Refractometer
- Humphreys Perimeter
With the advancement of technology in the health care sector, surgeries pertaining to eye problems have been simplified and made more effective. The department provides extensive eye care to patients with cataract issues by incorporating a modern cataract surgery method, Phacoemulsification. Also, AMO Phacomachine was installed for availing Phacoemulsification procedures for patients with cataracts.
The prime objective of the ophthalmology department are as follows:
- To provide compassionate and high-quality eye care to all patients with eye problems.
- To provide undergraduate students (MBBS) in Ophthalmology the knowledge and skills that will enable him/her to practice as a clinician and primary eye care physician.
- To inculcate research and practice Evidence-based medicine (EBM).
- To become a world-class Post-Graduate Training Institute.
- To encourage research and publishing in reputed journals by faculty & students.
- To conduct community outreach programs & camps to identify and treat all cases of available blindness.
- To enable the students, both UG & PGs to become effective community health leaders to assist in the implementation of national programs for the prevention of blindness and rehabilitation of visually impaired.
- To encourage the faculty to do research, publish papers, and attend seminars/conferences.
- To incorporate the latest technologies and methodologies in teaching.
- To develop the department into a Centre of Excellence.
With a substantial focus on providing high-class clinical service and cutting-edge research, the faculty members of the ophthalmology department are committed to training the next generation of physicians in upheaving the field of ophthalmology to the whole new level.
Dr. T. Sanjay Reddy PROFESSOR & HODDOJ: 14.12.2012
Dr. Satyanarayana Reddy Professor DOJ: 08.10.2015
Dr. Hymavathi Bommisetti Assistant ProfessorDOJ: 02.04.2012
Dr. Nirupama Mandiga Assistant ProfessorDOJ: 02.03.2015
Dr. Vaddiraj Sirish Kumar Assistant ProfessorDOJ: 01.12.2014
Dr. L. Prathima Senior ResidentDOJ: 13.07.2015
Dr. Gurrala Vidyadhar Junior ResidentDOJ: 23.12.2016
Dr. Jangolla Naresh Kumar Junior ResidentDOJ: 13.12.2016
From diagnosis to surgery, ophthalmology is one area of medicine where instruments play a major role. Being the most sensitive and vulnerable part of a living body, eye-related issues are to be diagnosed and treated with the utmost care possible. This requires the help of advanced and reliable medical instruments.
AMC is directed towards delivering high-quality eye care to the patients aided by efficient equipment for diagnosis and treatment of eye problems. Also, the department focuses on helping the health care professionals, graduating from the institution, to stay ahead of the curve and have hands-on experience in working with various instruments by exposing them to every possible ophthalmic equipment.
The equipment available in the department include:
- Slit Lamps
- Applanation Tonometer
- Direct Ophthalmoscopes
- Indirect Ophthalmoscopes
- Perkins Hand-held Tonometer
- Streak Retinoscope
- 90D, 20D, Gonio Lens
- Operating Microscope
- Phaco machine
- Humphrey Field Analyser
Eyecare is improving day by day and the integration of new technology to diagnose and treat eye-related problems is happening very frequently around the world. In order to upskill the clinical knowledge in sync with the latest trends and also to revamp the basic understanding of the ophthalmology in relation to the current day scenarios, the students and the faculty are continuously encouraged to attend conferences and workshop related to their field of expertise.
Conferences, Workshops & CME attended/presented by the faculty include-
- Hyderabad Ophthalmologists’ Association (HOA) Conferences.
- Workshop on Drug Safety and Basics of Pharmaco Vigilance by Dr. T. Sanjay Reddy.
- Workshop on Glaucoma Drainage Devices at LVPEI by Dr. D. Nirupama.
- Paper Presentation on the case of Aicardi Syndrome by Dr. D. Nirupama in the APOS Conference in Tirupathi.
- Presentation by Dr. P. Vengal Rao on “Recent Advances in Corneal & Refractive Surgeries” in CME at AIMSR.
Publications, Awards & Achievements
Studies published under the name of our faculty members in different journals are listed below:
Dr. D. Nirupama
- Aicardi syndrome –A case report at AP state conference, Tirupathi.
1.Alkaptonuria-A case report at AP state conference, Vizag.
2.OCT picture in vortex keratopathy, at AP state conference, Vizag.
1. Case Report:Aicardi Syndrome, TOS TODAY vol 1,Issue no-3 .Dr.D.Nirupama.
2. OCT picture in vortex keratopathy, TOS TODAY VOL 1, Issue no-Dr.D.Nirupama.