Microbiology is the study of microscopic organisms such as fungi, viruses, bacteria, and protozoa. It forms the basis of research in allied medical fields such as biochemistry, physiology, and cellular studies. The department of microbiology at The Apollo Medical College is a fully functioning department for all 2nd-year MBBS students. It is supported by infrastructural facilities, equipment, experienced faculty, and library as per MCI norms to accommodate postgraduate studies.
The department is actively involved in the establishment and functioning of three national health programs, namely, the RNTCP, FI- ICTC, and Suraksha Clinic/DSRC.
At the end of the academic session on microbiology, the student shall be able to:
- Identify the various microorganisms that cause diseases in the human body.
- Test for the presence of microorganisms in bed-side sample specimens.
- Culture these microorganisms in a safe environment for diagnostic or study purposes.
- Apply their knowledge about asepsis, disinfection, sterilization, and bio-waste management.
- List the immunization schedules for children and adults.
The department of microbiology at The Apollo Medical College has dedicated and experienced professors and tutors to train undergraduate and postgraduate students. Our faculty are actively involved in diagnostic work at the central lab. They are passionate researchers, published authors, and have received several grants for their research studies.
The microbiology department is home to 6 fully equipped and functional service laboratories namely,
In addition, to the above, the following facilities are also available for the exclusive use and benefit of the students
- Research lab with basic equipment.
- Media preparation
- Autoclave & washing rooms
- Demonstration room with LCD Projector and TV Unit to accommodate sixty students
- Practical Hall with a preparation room with the capacity to accommodate 60 students
- Museum with 23 Charts, 12 specimens, and 78 Laminated Photographs.
The field of medicine is such that there are newer researches and advancements taking place at regular time frames. It is if high importance for our students to stay updated on such advancements for them to pass out as fully qualified medical professionals.
Seminars, talks, group discussions, webinars, etc. are conducted as part of CME by the Department of Microbiology at Apollo Medical College. Both on-site and off-campus location seminars are held for the benefit of our students. We promote of latest researches and advancements in the selected field along with the regular course curriculum, keeping in the best interest of our students in mind. Qualified and reputed persons are invited by the college to share their knowledge and research with the students. All students are advised to participate fully in such events to gain maximum exposure from them.
Publications, Awards & Achievements
Studies published under the name of our faculty members in different journals are listed below:
Dr. C. Mrudula Professor
- A study on the adverse effects of formaldehyde on the staff of anatomy departments working in various medical colleges Vol 1/ Issue 4 / October 2012,559-564 ,Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences, ISSN NO – 2278-4748 ;Krishnaiah M, Mrudula C.
- Aortic orifice measurement – cadaveric and echocardiographic study Vo 3/Issue 4/October -December 2012 ,914-920, Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences,ISSN NO -0975-8585 ; Impact factor- 0.35
- Can the dead teach the living ?-Cadaveric dissection in medical curriculum Vol 4/Issue 4/Jul-August 2013,100-104; National journal of integrated research in medicine; ISSN NO – 2230 – 9969; Impact factor- 2.507; Mrudula Chandrupatla, Krishnaih Muunnanuri
- Sirenomelia – The Mermaid Syndrome : A case report Vol 7/Issue 6/May -June 2013, 1-4;International organization of scientific research journal; ISSN NO – 2278-3008; Naveena .S, Mrudula C.
- Horse shoe kidney: a case report; Vol 1/Issue 3/ August 2013,304-307; International Journal of Research in Medical Sciences ;ISSN NO – 2320-6071; Naveena .S, Mrudula C
- Morphometry Of Sacral Hiatus And Its Clinical Relevance; Vol 1/Issue 7/ July 2013,11-18; International journal of advance research; ISSN NO – 2320-5407; Impact factor- 5.336; Mrudula C , Naveena S
- Sacralization of fifth lumbar vertebra ; Vol. 5, Issue 6, June, 2014, 1159-1160 International Journal of Recent Scientific Research ; ISSN NO – 0976-3031; Impact factor- 5.971; Naveena .S, Mrudula C.
- Mayer-Rokintansky-Kuster-Hauser Syndrome: A Case Report Vol 5/Issue 4/July 2014,943-946 ; Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences ; ISSN NO – 0975-8585; Impact factor- 0.35; Naveena S, Aruna jyothi, Saju B, Chandrupatla M and Shabana Sultana
- Non rotation of Gut – A Case Report ;Vol 3: Issue 4, Oct 2014 , 340-343 International Journal of Medical and Health Sciences; ISSN NO – 2277-4505; Impact factor- 3.51 ; Mrudula Chandrupatla, Naveena Swargam
- Anencephaly- A case report Vol 2; Issue 7, Oct 2014,255-257, International journal of scientific study ;ISSN NO –2321-6379; Impact factor- 2.605; Dr. Mrudula Chandrupatla, Dr.. Naveena swargam
- Effect of cyclophosphamide on Neural Tube Development in Chick Embryos; Vol 5; Issue 06 ,Jun 2014,238-240 ; International Journal of Pharma Sciences and Research ; ISSN NO – 2320-5148; Impact factor- 2.60; shabana sultana, mrudula chandrupatla, naveena swargam,Aruna jyothi
1. Effect of sodium valproate on Neural Tube Development in Chick Embryos Vol 4;Issue 1,Jan 2015,15-18 ; International journal of research in pharmacology and pharmacotherapeutics ; ISSN NO – 2278-2648; MA Doshi,Shabana sultana, N Jayasree,Aruna jyothi,Mrudula C
2. Patent Foramen Ovale: A Cadaveric Observational Study, Vol.5; Issue: 2; February 2015,387-389 ; International Journal of Health Sciences and Research ; ISSN NO – 2249-9571; Impact factor- 3.624, Naveena .S, Mrudula C
3. Elongation of left lobe of liver ; Vol 3;Issue 2; April 2015, 152-156, International journal of allied medical sciences and clinical research; ISSN NO –2347-6567; shabana sultana, mrudula c, naveens s, aruna jyothi, nitya whagray
4. Osteoarthritis of knee joint , Vol 3; Issue 2; June 2015,248-252, International journal of allied medical sciences and clinical research; ISSN NO –2347-6567; Dr. Mrudula Chandrupatla, Dr.. Naveena swargam
5. Comparative study of estimation of stature using femur length and humerus length: an anthropometric study; Vol 5; Issue 10; August 2015,865-867; Journal of science; ISSN NO –2277-3282; Impact factor- 4.67; Dr. Mrudula Chandrupatla, Dr.. Naveena swargam
1. Effect of cyclophosphamide in histological features of cerebellum in chick embryo; Vol 4; Issue 2; June 2016 ,256-259; International Journal of Allied Medical Sciences and Clinical Research ; ISSN NO –2347-6567; MA Doshi,Shabana sultana, N Jayasree, Mrudula C, Aruna jyothi
2. An anatomical variation in the origin of biceps brachii muscle,Vol 3 ; Issue 3; June 2016 , 313-316, Medico research chronicles; ISSN NO – 2394-3971; Dr. Mrudula Chandrupatla, Dr.Shabana Sultana
3. Cervical Rib – A case report; Vol 7 ; Issue 7;July 2016 ,12599-12601 International journal of recent scientific research; ISSN NO – 0967-3031; Impact factor- 5.971; Mrudula Chandrupatla and Shabana Sultana
4. Effect of Cyclophosphamide in Histological Features of Cerebrum in Chick Embryos; Vol 1; Issue 9 ,Nov 2016, 399-401,International journal of innovative research in medical science; ISSN NO – 2455-8737; Impact factor- 0.18 ; MA Doshi,Shabana sultana, N Jayasree, Mrudula C
5. Effect of sodium valproate in histological features of cerebellum in chick embryos; Vol. 5, Issue 12; Dec, 2016;380-387;Journal of Medical Pharmaceutical And Allied Sciences;ISSN NO. 2320 – 7418; Impact factor- 4.262; MA Doshi,Shabana sultana, N Jayasree, Mrudula C
6. Effect of sodium valproate in histological features of cerebrum in chick embryos Vol. 03, Issue 12; Dec, 2016;3391-3394 ;International Journal of Information Research and Review; MA Doshi,Shabana sultana, N Jayasree, Mrudula C
Dr. Saju B. Cherian Associate Professor
1. NAYAK, B. S.; MISHRA, S.; GEORGE, B. M.; CHERIAN, S. B. & SHETTY, S. D. (2013).Unusual branches of femoral artery in the femoral triangle – A case report. Int. J. Morphol., 31(3):819-821, 2013.
1. Naveena S*, Aruna jyothi, Saju B, Chandrupatla M and Shabana Sultana. Mayer-Rokintansky-Kuster-Hauser Syndrome: A Case Report.( 2014) RJPBCS. 5(4): 943- 46.
2. Saju Binu Cherian, Aruna Jyothi Gandhalam ( 2014). Abnormal position of descending colon with right- sided sigmoid colon and its clinical significance, APME 11(3) 227-229
3. Cherian SB, Gandhalam AJ. Rectus sternalis muscle: An anatomical variant of anterior chest wall. (2014) OA Anatomy Jun 10; 2(2):16.
2015:1. Cherian SB and Bairy, KL (2015) Induction of micronuclei in hippocampal neurons exposed to chronic prenatal restraint stress in male and female wistar rat pups. International Journal of Advanced Research, 3 (8). pp. 1217-1222. ISSN 2320-5407
2. Cherian SB, et al. Ascending aortic aneurysm and its clinical significance: A case report (2015) Apollo Med. 12(3) 229-231
3. Aruna Jyothi. Nithya Waghray , Saju Binu Cherian, Shabana Sultana(2015) . Male form of Persistent Mullerian Duct – A case report. Int. J of Allied Med. Sci. and Clin. Research 3(3) 280-284
1. Saju BC, Bairy KL,Muddanna SR (2016). Effects of chronic prenatal stress on motor coordination in postweaned male and female wistar rats. Int. J of Med. Sci. and Clin. Research, 4(2): 289-294
Dr. Shabana Sultana Tutor
- (a)Shabana Sultana, (b)Mrudula Chandrupatla, (c)Naveena Swargam,(d)Aruna Jyothi;
“Effect of Cyclophosphamide on Neural Tube Development in Chick Embryos”; International Journal of Pharma Sciences and Research (IJPSR); ISSN : 0975-9492, Vol 5 No 06 Jun 2014, Pg No: 238-240.
2. Mayer-Rokintansky-Kuster-Hauser Syndrome: A Case Report. Aruna jyothi, Naveena Swargam, Saju B, Chandrupatla M and Shabana Sultana. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences .July – August 2014 RJPBCS 5(4) Page No. 943
- 1M.A.Doshi, 2Shabana Sultana, 3N.Jayasree,4Aruna Jyothi, 5Mrudula chandrupatla; “Effect of sodium valproate on neural tube development in chick embryos”; International Journal of Research in Pharmacology & Pharmacotherapeutics (IJRPP); ISSN : 2278-2648, Vol 4 ,Issue 1,Jan-Mar-2015 , Pg No: 15-18.
- Elongation of left lobe of liver:A case report. 1Shabana Sultana, 2Mrudula Chandrupatla, 3Naveena Swargam,4Aruna Jyothi,5Nitya Waghray. International Journal of Allied Medical Sciences and Clinical Research(IJAMSCR) ,Volume 3,Issue 2 April-June 2015, Page No.152-156.
- Effect of cyclophosphamide in histological features of cerebellum in chick embryo 1 Shabana Sultana, 2M.A.Doshi, 3N.Jayasree, 4Mrudula Chandrupatla, 5Aruna Jyothi International Journal of Allied Medical Sciences and Clinical Research(IJAMSCR) , IJAMSCR ,Volume 4 ,Issue 2,April – June – 2016 Page No. 256-259.
- “An anatomical variation in the origin of biceps brachii muscle” Dr. Mrudula Chandrupatla*, Dr.Shabana Sultana Medico Research Chronicles,2016, 3 (3), Page No. 313-316
- “Effect of Cyclophosphamide in Histological Features of Cerebrum in Chick Embryos” 1Shabana Sultana,2M.A.Doshi, 3N.Jayasree, 4Mrudula Chandrupatla. “International Journal of Innovative Research in Medical Science (IJIRMS) Volume 01 Issue 09 Nov 2016, ISSN No. – 2455-8737 Available online at – www.ijirms.in” Page No. 399-401.
- “Effect of sodium valproate in histological features of cerebellum in chick embryos” 1Shabana Sultana,2M.A.Doshi, 3N.Jayasree, 4Mrudula Chandrupatla. “Journal of Medical Pharmaceutical And Allied Sciences”, www.jmpas.com ISSN NO. 2320 – 7418, 14 December 2016,(Page No. 380-387)
- “EFFECT OF SODIUM VALPROATE IN HISTOLOGICAL FEATURES OF CEREBRUM IN CHICK EMBRYOS” 1Shabana Sultana,2M.A.Doshi, 3N.Jayasree, 4Mrudula Chandrupatla International Journal of Information Research and ReviewVol. 03, Issue, 12, pp. 3391-3394, December, 2016.