Forensic medicine, toxicology, and medical jurisprudence is that branch of medicine that applies medical knowledge to determine the causes of injury or death. One of the main applications of forensic medicine is to aid the administration of justice. This department has experienced faculty and renowned experts, who provide training to the 2nd year MBBS students on the basics of forensic medicine and jurisprudence.
The autopsy block, body cold storage units, postmortem sets, facilities for conducting inquest, and live demonstration of autopsies, supplement classroom teaching with the help of practical cases. This enables medical students to apply their knowledge to investigate the causes of death. The well-equipped and spacious autopsy labs attached to the department of forensic medicine, are fully operational and can accommodate 100 students comfortably.
At the end of the academic session on forensic medicine, the student shall be able to:
- Make logical deductions in medico-legal matters.
- Observe and infer from the postmortem examinations based on facts and findings.
- Understand and abide by the ethical principles of a medical practitioner.
The department of forensic medicine at The Apollo Medical College has dedicated and experienced professors and tutors to train undergraduate students. Our faculty members actively engage with students in campus events, community health programs, and research projects.
Dr. G. Surendar Reddy Professor & HODDOJ: 12.01.2012
Dr. Prashanth Mada Associate ProfessorDOJ: 01.01.1970
Dr. Fowad Abdul Khaliq TutorDOJ: 02.12.2016
Dr. Preddi Mahesh Kumar TutorDOJ: 12.09.2016
The Forensic medicine department has fully operational well-equipped laboratories that supplement the clinical classroom teaching with the help of practical cases.
The department has:
- Practical lab with a capacity to accommodate 60 students, equipped with 25 Binocular microscopes, Two Lx 400 microscopes, one Lx 300 microscope, a Canon SLR camera, X-ray view box-four in one & two in one for reading X-rays in forensic radiology, case studies of various suspicious deaths and rare cases, display of medical ethics and etiquette in pictorial form.
- Autopsy block with two Yorco Autopsy tables, 4 body cold storage unit, postmortem sets, aprons, distillation unit & facilities for conducting inquest, viscera storage, and live demonstration of autopsies with stepwise galleries to accommodate 100 students.
- Museum with mounted specimens of medicolegal importance, weapons, firearms, poisons, display of various injuries, and medicolegal cases.
The forensic medicine department has an exclusive lab for research activities providing a gateway for the students to innovate and build on their theoretical knowledge. The research lab is well-equipped with facilities for Histopathology (Microtome with a knife, Hot plate, Water bath, L-Modes, Block Holders, Slide warming table), physical examination (Weighing machine for dead bodies, organs, and fetuses, B.P apparatus, measuring steel tape, magnifying glass, lancets, equipment for reporting height, Vernier calipers) and for toxicological analysis (analytical weight box, digital PH meter, spectrophotometer, precision balance).
A discussion about a subject matter will teach you more about the issue at hand than just listening to it from a one-dimensional perspective. We believe in engaging our students in seminars, talks, webinars, and group discussions as a part of CME. The Apollo Medical College holds regular talks and seminars at the campus as well as other outside locations in view of our students to benefit from them. Best speakers are brought in with high knowledge on the subject matter and care is taken to ensure modern topics are regularly discussed. We encourage all students to actively participate in the same making this a positively reinforcing experience.
Publications, Awards & Achievements
Studies published under the name of our faculty members in different journals are listed below:
Dr. C. Mrudula Professor
- A study on the adverse effects of formaldehyde on the staff of anatomy departments working in various medical colleges Vol 1/ Issue 4 / October 2012,559-564 ,Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences, ISSN NO – 2278-4748 ;Krishnaiah M, Mrudula C.
- Aortic orifice measurement – cadaveric and echocardiographic study Vo 3/Issue 4/October -December 2012 ,914-920, Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences,ISSN NO -0975-8585 ; Impact factor- 0.35
- Can the dead teach the living ?-Cadaveric dissection in medical curriculum Vol 4/Issue 4/Jul-August 2013,100-104; National journal of integrated research in medicine; ISSN NO – 2230 – 9969; Impact factor- 2.507; Mrudula Chandrupatla, Krishnaih Muunnanuri
- Sirenomelia – The Mermaid Syndrome : A case report Vol 7/Issue 6/May -June 2013, 1-4;International organization of scientific research journal; ISSN NO – 2278-3008; Naveena .S, Mrudula C.
- Horse shoe kidney: a case report; Vol 1/Issue 3/ August 2013,304-307; International Journal of Research in Medical Sciences ;ISSN NO – 2320-6071; Naveena .S, Mrudula C
- Morphometry Of Sacral Hiatus And Its Clinical Relevance; Vol 1/Issue 7/ July 2013,11-18; International journal of advance research; ISSN NO – 2320-5407; Impact factor- 5.336; Mrudula C , Naveena S
- Sacralization of fifth lumbar vertebra ; Vol. 5, Issue 6, June, 2014, 1159-1160 International Journal of Recent Scientific Research ; ISSN NO – 0976-3031; Impact factor- 5.971; Naveena .S, Mrudula C.
- Mayer-Rokintansky-Kuster-Hauser Syndrome: A Case Report Vol 5/Issue 4/July 2014,943-946 ; Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences ; ISSN NO – 0975-8585; Impact factor- 0.35; Naveena S, Aruna jyothi, Saju B, Chandrupatla M and Shabana Sultana
- Non rotation of Gut – A Case Report ;Vol 3: Issue 4, Oct 2014 , 340-343 International Journal of Medical and Health Sciences; ISSN NO – 2277-4505; Impact factor- 3.51 ; Mrudula Chandrupatla, Naveena Swargam
- Anencephaly- A case report Vol 2; Issue 7, Oct 2014,255-257, International journal of scientific study ;ISSN NO –2321-6379; Impact factor- 2.605; Dr. Mrudula Chandrupatla, Dr.. Naveena swargam
- Effect of cyclophosphamide on Neural Tube Development in Chick Embryos; Vol 5; Issue 06 ,Jun 2014,238-240 ; International Journal of Pharma Sciences and Research ; ISSN NO – 2320-5148; Impact factor- 2.60; shabana sultana, mrudula chandrupatla, naveena swargam,Aruna jyothi
1. Effect of sodium valproate on Neural Tube Development in Chick Embryos Vol 4;Issue 1,Jan 2015,15-18 ; International journal of research in pharmacology and pharmacotherapeutics ; ISSN NO – 2278-2648; MA Doshi,Shabana sultana, N Jayasree,Aruna jyothi,Mrudula C
2. Patent Foramen Ovale: A Cadaveric Observational Study, Vol.5; Issue: 2; February 2015,387-389 ; International Journal of Health Sciences and Research ; ISSN NO – 2249-9571; Impact factor- 3.624, Naveena .S, Mrudula C
3. Elongation of left lobe of liver ; Vol 3;Issue 2; April 2015, 152-156, International journal of allied medical sciences and clinical research; ISSN NO –2347-6567; shabana sultana, mrudula c, naveens s, aruna jyothi, nitya whagray
4. Osteoarthritis of knee joint , Vol 3; Issue 2; June 2015,248-252, International journal of allied medical sciences and clinical research; ISSN NO –2347-6567; Dr. Mrudula Chandrupatla, Dr.. Naveena swargam
5. Comparative study of estimation of stature using femur length and humerus length: an anthropometric study; Vol 5; Issue 10; August 2015,865-867; Journal of science; ISSN NO –2277-3282; Impact factor- 4.67; Dr. Mrudula Chandrupatla, Dr.. Naveena swargam
1. Effect of cyclophosphamide in histological features of cerebellum in chick embryo; Vol 4; Issue 2; June 2016 ,256-259; International Journal of Allied Medical Sciences and Clinical Research ; ISSN NO –2347-6567; MA Doshi,Shabana sultana, N Jayasree, Mrudula C, Aruna jyothi
2. An anatomical variation in the origin of biceps brachii muscle,Vol 3 ; Issue 3; June 2016 , 313-316, Medico research chronicles; ISSN NO – 2394-3971; Dr. Mrudula Chandrupatla, Dr.Shabana Sultana
3. Cervical Rib – A case report; Vol 7 ; Issue 7;July 2016 ,12599-12601 International journal of recent scientific research; ISSN NO – 0967-3031; Impact factor- 5.971; Mrudula Chandrupatla and Shabana Sultana
4. Effect of Cyclophosphamide in Histological Features of Cerebrum in Chick Embryos; Vol 1; Issue 9 ,Nov 2016, 399-401,International journal of innovative research in medical science; ISSN NO – 2455-8737; Impact factor- 0.18 ; MA Doshi,Shabana sultana, N Jayasree, Mrudula C
5. Effect of sodium valproate in histological features of cerebellum in chick embryos; Vol. 5, Issue 12; Dec, 2016;380-387;Journal of Medical Pharmaceutical And Allied Sciences;ISSN NO. 2320 – 7418; Impact factor- 4.262; MA Doshi,Shabana sultana, N Jayasree, Mrudula C
6. Effect of sodium valproate in histological features of cerebrum in chick embryos Vol. 03, Issue 12; Dec, 2016;3391-3394 ;International Journal of Information Research and Review; MA Doshi,Shabana sultana, N Jayasree, Mrudula C
Dr. Saju B. Cherian Associate Professor
1. NAYAK, B. S.; MISHRA, S.; GEORGE, B. M.; CHERIAN, S. B. & SHETTY, S. D. (2013).Unusual branches of femoral artery in the femoral triangle – A case report. Int. J. Morphol., 31(3):819-821, 2013.
1. Naveena S*, Aruna jyothi, Saju B, Chandrupatla M and Shabana Sultana. Mayer-Rokintansky-Kuster-Hauser Syndrome: A Case Report.( 2014) RJPBCS. 5(4): 943- 46.
2. Saju Binu Cherian, Aruna Jyothi Gandhalam ( 2014). Abnormal position of descending colon with right- sided sigmoid colon and its clinical significance, APME 11(3) 227-229
3. Cherian SB, Gandhalam AJ. Rectus sternalis muscle: An anatomical variant of anterior chest wall. (2014) OA Anatomy Jun 10; 2(2):16.
1. Cherian SB and Bairy, KL (2015) Induction of micronuclei in hippocampal neurons exposed to chronic prenatal restraint stress in male and female wistar rat pups. International Journal of Advanced Research, 3 (8). pp. 1217-1222. ISSN 2320-5407
2. Cherian SB, et al. Ascending aortic aneurysm and its clinical significance: A case report (2015) Apollo Med. 12(3) 229-231
3. Aruna Jyothi. Nithya Waghray , Saju Binu Cherian, Shabana Sultana(2015) . Male form of Persistent Mullerian Duct – A case report. Int. J of Allied Med. Sci. and Clin. Research 3(3) 280-284
1. Saju BC, Bairy KL,Muddanna SR (2016). Effects of chronic prenatal stress on motor coordination in postweaned male and female wistar rats. Int. J of Med. Sci. and Clin. Research, 4(2): 289-294
Dr. Shabana Sultana Tutor
- (a)Shabana Sultana, (b)Mrudula Chandrupatla, (c)Naveena Swargam,(d)Aruna Jyothi;
“Effect of Cyclophosphamide on Neural Tube Development in Chick Embryos”; International Journal of Pharma Sciences and Research (IJPSR); ISSN : 0975-9492, Vol 5 No 06 Jun 2014, Pg No: 238-240.
2. Mayer-Rokintansky-Kuster-Hauser Syndrome: A Case Report. Aruna jyothi, Naveena Swargam, Saju B, Chandrupatla M and Shabana Sultana. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences .July – August 2014 RJPBCS 5(4) Page No. 943
- 1M.A.Doshi, 2Shabana Sultana, 3N.Jayasree,4Aruna Jyothi, 5Mrudula chandrupatla; “Effect of sodium valproate on neural tube development in chick embryos”; International Journal of Research in Pharmacology & Pharmacotherapeutics (IJRPP); ISSN : 2278-2648, Vol 4 ,Issue 1,Jan-Mar-2015 , Pg No: 15-18.
- Elongation of left lobe of liver:A case report. 1Shabana Sultana, 2Mrudula Chandrupatla, 3Naveena Swargam,4Aruna Jyothi,5Nitya Waghray. International Journal of Allied Medical Sciences and Clinical Research(IJAMSCR) ,Volume 3,Issue 2 April-June 2015, Page No.152-156.
- Effect of cyclophosphamide in histological features of cerebellum in chick embryo 1 Shabana Sultana, 2M.A.Doshi, 3N.Jayasree, 4Mrudula Chandrupatla, 5Aruna Jyothi International Journal of Allied Medical Sciences and Clinical Research(IJAMSCR) , IJAMSCR ,Volume 4 ,Issue 2,April – June – 2016 Page No. 256-259.
- “An anatomical variation in the origin of biceps brachii muscle” Dr. Mrudula Chandrupatla*, Dr.Shabana Sultana Medico Research Chronicles,2016, 3 (3), Page No. 313-316
- “Effect of Cyclophosphamide in Histological Features of Cerebrum in Chick Embryos” 1Shabana Sultana,2M.A.Doshi, 3N.Jayasree, 4Mrudula Chandrupatla. “International Journal of Innovative Research in Medical Science (IJIRMS) Volume 01 Issue 09 Nov 2016, ISSN No. – 2455-8737 Available online at – www.ijirms.in” Page No. 399-401.
- “Effect of sodium valproate in histological features of cerebellum in chick embryos” 1Shabana Sultana,2M.A.Doshi, 3N.Jayasree, 4Mrudula Chandrupatla. “Journal of Medical Pharmaceutical And Allied Sciences”, www.jmpas.com ISSN NO. 2320 – 7418, 14 December 2016,(Page No. 380-387)
- “EFFECT OF SODIUM VALPROATE IN HISTOLOGICAL FEATURES OF CEREBRUM IN CHICK EMBRYOS” 1Shabana Sultana,2M.A.Doshi, 3N.Jayasree, 4Mrudula Chandrupatla International Journal of Information Research and ReviewVol. 03, Issue, 12, pp. 3391-3394, December, 2016.