“Ragging does not break the ice, it breaks lives, careers, and families!”
Ragging is a crime, condemned by the nation and we at the Apollo Medical College have a zero-tolerance policy to those who partake in ragging. Ragging is termed as an inhumane act of demoralizing and defaming a fellow student through verbal or physical means. Any such instance of ragging is not withstood in the campus of The Apollo Medical College and the institution is bound to take strict disciplinary actions on those involved with respect to the facts of the ragging incident.
The Apollo Medical College ensures that the campus is ragging free by taking all possible measures by educating the students about the implications and after-effects of ragging. The students are also bestowed with a consistent awareness of the negative aspects of ragging so that they would abstain from involving in any deed that may be entitled under the ragging offense. The management ensures that all possible precautionary measures are taken against any form of ragging practices in order to conserve an up-standing environment in the institution for the prospect of the students and the faculties.
Definition of Ragging
Acts that are termed as ‘ragging’ are as follows:
- Any act whether by spoken or written in words or by any deed that has an effect of dehumanizing, disrespecting, harassing, or treating any other fellow student in a rude manner.
- Reveling in activities that are unruly or obstreperous which results in or is likely to result in annoyance, suffering, or psychological issues or to induce fear or anxiety in a fresher or a junior student.
- Demanding the fellow students to perpetrate any act or perform something which is not in ordinance with the involved student and has the effect of inflicting a sense of embarrassment or remorse which may negatively affect the psyche or physique of the victimized student.
- Involving in any act that affects the psychological health and self-confidence of any other student with or without an intent to derive a vicious pleasure showing off authority or superiority by a student over a fellow student.
Preventive measures are taken by the institution:
- Our applications and other related brochures inviting students for the admission process to the courses contain an appropriate clause on ragging.
- The College brochures and prospectus also comprise detailed clauses on ragging.
- The application form issued during the enrolment process has an undertaking on ragging to be signed by the student and also by the parent/guardian before admitting to any course.
- Students seeking admission to hostel services inside the campus will be needed to give an additional undertaking obliging to refrain from ragging activities inside the premises.
Disciplinary actions in the event of ragging:
- Depending upon the nature and intensity of the ragging offense committed, the probable penalties for those who are found guilty as established by the institution will be one or more of the following:
- Suspension from attending academic classes and other privileges
- Withholding/withdrawing scholarship/ fellowship and other benefits
- Prohibiting from attending any examination or other evaluation process.
- Withholding results of the academic evaluation process
- Debarring from representing the institution in any regional, national or international meet, tournament, youth festival, etc.
- Suspension or removal from the hostel
- Cancellation of admission.
- Rustication from the institution for period ranging from 1 to 4 semesters
- Expulsion from the institution
- Collective punishment: When the persons committing or abetting the crime of ragging are not identified, the institution shall resort to collective punishment.