The Government of Andhra Pradesh hasthe distinction of establishing the first University of Health Sciencesfulfilling the recommendations of several committees. Thus the “Andhra Pradesh Universityof Health Sciences” was established by the Act. No. 6 of the Andhra Pradeshlegislature and was inaugurated on 9-4-1986 by the late Sri N.T. Rama Rao, thethen Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh. The University of Health Sciencesstarted functioning at Vijayawada from 01-11-1986. After the death of itsfounder Sri N.T. Rama Rao the University was named after him as NTR Universityof Health Sciences, Andhra Pradesh with effect from 2.2.98 vide Act No.4 of1998.
The University was established with the objectives of
- To improve the standards of Medical Education including Research
- By conducting a common entrance examination to the courses in all the institutions affiliated thereto;
- By implementing uniform curriculum in all courses
The University office was temporarily accommodated in the Siddhartha Medical College building and functioned in that limited space till March, 2002. In April, 2002 it moved into itsbuilding which is having spacious accommodation for the office and staff, and waiting area for students and other visitors. Separate counters for admissions, examinations etc., are provided in the hall. There is a library and computer center from where the library network is operated. Guest house facility is available with different categories of accommodation for the faculty, examiners etc. The Examination section is housed in a separate area with special security. Because of electronically controlled access, the examination section is accessible only to authorized staff and officers working in the section. Bio-metric Electronic Attendance recording is also installed.
The University is governed by the Executive Council, the Finance Committee, the Boards of Studies, the Academic Senate and the Planning Board. The University has Graduate, Post-Graduate Degree and Diploma and Super Specialty courses in Modern Medicine, Graduate and PG Degrees Courses in Dental Surgery, Nursing, Ayurveda, Homeopathy, and Unani, Graduate degree courses in Naturopathy, Physiotherapy and Medical Lab Technology and PG course in M.Sc. Applied Nutrition.
The total number of colleges affiliated to the University at the time of its establishment was 27. Now the affiliated colleges has now gone up to 184.
The Degrees awarded by the University are recognized by the Statutory bodies like the Medical Council of India, the Dental Council of India, the Central Council of Indian Medicine and the Central Council of Homoeopathy and Indian Nursing Council
MOU: The University has a MOU with the Southern Illinois University School of Medicine (SIUSOM) Springfield. Illinois, USA. As a part of the MOU a highly successful International Conference on Medical Education and Technology was held in January, 2002 in collaboration with the SIUSOM. Further, as a follow up to that, workshops have been conducted in several Medical Colleges in which the faculty participated with great enthusiasm, and derived great benefit.
As a part of the MOU three members of the faculty have been given a placement in that University for training in Medical Education Technology under an ECFMG-FAIMER Fellowship.
NTR University of Health Sciences is conducting interactive Programme on Research Methodology which will focus on Medical Research with the following objectives:
- Identify the potential areas for research in their field of specialization
- Effectively guide the research scholars in the preparation of project proposals, monitor the research project work and guide them in successful completion of research project.
The University has introduced Ph.D.Courses for those having PG degree in subjects of Modern Medicine and is planning to start the same in Unani and Nursing faculties soon.
In the faculty of Modern Medicine even the students possessing MBBS, M.Sc. Medical Sciences or M.Sc. Science groups of pre clinical and Para clinical subjects may be considered for admission to Ph.D. based on performance in an Entrance Examination specifically conducted for the purpose. The qualifying marks shall be 60% since this provision is intended only to encourage the excellent candidates without MD,MS, DM or M.Ch. degree to pursue research in the field of Modern Medicine. For other than in-service candidates a grant of fellowship from CSIR, NET, ICMR,UGC etc. is a pre requisite. Duration of the Ph.D. course will be two years for candidates with MD, MS, DM or M.Ch. degree, while it will be 4 years for candidates having M.Sc. and MBBS 3 years for candidates having M.Phil.
|Dr.I. VENKATESWARA RAO (M.D)|
N.T.R. University of Health Sciences, Vijayawada,
|Degree||Year of Passing||University|
|MD (General Medicine)||1976||AndhraUniversity, A.P|
- Multiloculated Amoeic Empyema : Journal of Indian Medical Association Vol 74. No.3 Feb, 1 1980,
- Pleuropulmonary Amoebiasis-clinical, Serological and Radiology Study - Indian Medical Gazette Vol- CXIII, No 3, March 1979
1. Advisor: Aryogya Sri Health Care Trust, Government of Andhra Pradesh.
2. Member: High Power Committee for a period of 3 years.
3. Member for Fee Fixation Committee for 2 years.
4. Chairman for A.P. Chapter of Physician of India from 2008 to 2009
5. Life Member of Indian Medical Association
6. Life Member for A.P. Chapter of A.P.I
7. Life Member for Association of Physician of India.
8. Delivered several Guest lectures and Orations in State Conference and CME programmes.
- Director of Medical Education, Andhra Pradesh, Hyderabad for 11 months
- Additional Director of Medical Education, Office of Director of Medical Education, A.P. for a period of 2 years and 4 months
- Superintendent, Government General Hospital, Kakinada for 6 months
- Professor of Medicine, Rangaraya Medical College, Kakinada for 7 years
- Assistant Professor of Medicine, Rangaraya Medical College, Kakinada for 19 years
- Senior Resident in Medicine, JIPMER, Pondicherry for 1 1/2 years
DISTINCTIONS/ AWARDS / RECOGNITIONS:
- Secured 1st Class in the First and Final year MBBS Examinations
- Awarded "Pfizer Gold Medal" and Post Graduate Medical Award in recognition of the distinguished performance at the Final MBBS Examination for the year 1971
- Awarded "T.C.F. Silver Jubilee Commemoration Gold Medal" for the Best outgoing student for 1971-1972.
- Awarded "R.L.N. Reddy Gold Medal" for the year 1971-1972 for the Best outgoing student
- Awarded "M. joga Rao & J. Mallapa Raju, Endowment Prize" for medicine and pediatrics
- Awarded "Dr. A.Ravi Sastri Prize" in Social and Preventive Medicine
- Awarded "Dr. S.V.Ramanaiah Prize" in Midwifery
- Awarded "Dr. S. Dakshina Murty Prize" in Social and Preventive Medicine
- Awarded "Mrs.P.V. Ramanamma Memorial Prize" in Medicine
- Ranked No 2 in 1977, APPSC recruitment for the State Medical and Health Service
- Received "Certificate of Merit" from Late Honorable Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh Sri. Dr. Y.S. Rajasekhar Reddy for completing the construction and establishing fully equipped and staffed Medical College of RIMS, Kadapa within a record time of one year and also awarding the MCI permission for admission of 150 seat.
|Dr.T. Venugopala Rao (M.D)|
N.T.R. University of Health Sciences,Vijayawada,
|Degree||Year of Passing||University|
|MBBS||1980||Guntur Medical College,Guntur|
|D.A||1976||Rangaraya Medical College, Kakinada|
|MD(Anaesthesia)||1986||Rangaraya Medical College, Kakinada|
- Attended NTTC training at JIPMER in October, 2005
- Fellow ship in Medical Education - FAIMER 2007
- President, Indian Society for Study of Pain, A.P. Chapter
- Vice- President, Indian Society of Anesthesiologists, A.P.
- Past Secretary, ISSP, A.P. Chapter
- Member, Editorial Board India Journal in Anaesthesia
- Academic Senate Member, Dr. NTR UHS, Vijayawada
- Past President, ISA, Guntur City Branch
- Executive Member, IMA, Guntur
- Life Member, Indian Medical Association
- Life Member, Indian Society of Anesthesiologists
- Life Member, Asian Society of Pediatric Anesthesiologists.
- Registrar, Dr.NTR University of Health Sciences, Andhra Pradesh from October, 2007
- Professor and Head of the Department, 2001-2007
- Associate Professor, 1997-2000
- Assistant Professor, 1988-1997
- Selected for FAIMER Fellowship 2007
- Recipient of TRH award for research paper in 2004
- Best Doctor Award for valuable service in August, 2005
- Successful management of separation of conjoined twins in 2003
- Actively involved in the development of Medical Education technology in Guntur Medical College
- Faculty member for various CME programmes
- Contributed a chapter on Palliative care in Text book of Clinical oncology
- Best Poster presentation for presenting case report on Con-joined twins in 5th Asian Society of Pediatric Anesthesiologists in September 2006 at CME, Vellore.